- any of the jutting processes (in humans, two) at the upper end of the femur of many vertebrates
- the second segment from the base of an insect leg
Origin of trochanterClassical Greek trochant?r from trechein, to run: see troche
- Any of several bony processes on the upper part of the femur of many vertebrates.
- The second proximal segment of the leg of an insect.
Origin of trochanterNew Latin from Greek trokhantēr ball of the hip joint from trekhein to run
- tro·chan′ter·al tro′chan·ter′ic
From Ancient Greek Ï„ÏÎ¿Ï‡Î±Î½Ï„Î®Ï (trokhantÄ“r)