An example of a politician is a United States Senator.
- a person actively engaged in politics, esp. party politics, professionally or otherwise; often, a person holding or seeking political office: frequently used in a derogatory sense, with implications of seeking personal or partisan gain, scheming, opportunism, etc.
- a person skilled or experienced in practical politics or political science
Origin of politicianpolitic + -ian
- One who is actively involved or skilled in politics, especially one who holds a political office.
- One who deceives or outmaneuvers others for personal gain: distrusted him as the office politician.
- One engaged in politics, especially an elected or appointed government official.
- Politicians should serve the country's interest.
- Specifically, one who regards elected political office as a career.
- Unlike the other candidates, I'm not a politician.
- A politically active or interested person.
- Only real politicians are interested in this issue.
- A sly or ingratiating person.
- There is a politician in every office.
politic +"Ž -ian