- The definition of politic is someone who is shrewd, tactful or unethical.
An example of politic is a decision made because it it likely to be accepted by the voters and will make the politician more popular; a politic decision.
- Politic is defined as to participate in campaigning.
An example of politic is to run for office.
- political: archaic except in body politic
- having practical wisdom; prudent; shrewd; diplomatic
- crafty; unscrupulous
- prudently or artfully contrived; expedient, as a plan, action, remark, etc.
Origin of politicMiddle English polytyk from Middle French politique from Classical Latin politicus from Classical Greek politikos, of a citizen from polit?s: see police
intransitive verb-·ticked·, -·tick·ing
Origin of politicMiddle English politik from Old French politique from Latin polīticus political from Greek polītikos from polītēs citizen from polis city ; see pelə-3 in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more politic, superlative most politic)
- (archaic) Of or relating to polity, or civil government; political.
- the body politic
- (archaic) Relating to, or promoting, a policy, especially a national policy; well-devised; adapted to its end, whether right or wrong; said of things.
- a politic treaty
- (archaic) Sagacious in promoting a policy; ingenious in devising and advancing a system of management; devoted to a scheme or system rather than to a principle; hence, in a good sense, wise; prudent; sagacious
- Shrewd, prudent and expedient.
- Discreet and diplomatic.
- Artful, crafty or cunning.
- (archaic) A politician.
Ancient Greek Ï€Î¿Î»Î¯Ï„Î·Ï‚ (politÄ“s, “citizen").