- A person who works for the government and who investigates citizen complaints made about the government is an example of an ombudsman.
- A person who works for a company and investigates customer complaints is an example of an ombudsman.
- a public official appointed to investigate citizens' complaints against government agencies or officials that may be infringing on the rights of individuals
- a person employed by an institution to investigate and attempt to mediate and resolve complaints against it
Origin of ombudsmanSwedish ; from ombud, a deputy, representative (; from Old Norse umboth ; from um, umbe, about ; from Indo-European an unverified form mbhi-, variant, variety of an unverified form ambhi-, around, on both sides (from source ambi-) + Old Norse bjotha, to offer, bid, akin to Old English beodan: see bid) + man, man
- A man who investigates complaints and mediates fair settlements, especially between aggrieved parties such as consumers or students and an institution or organization.
- A government official, especially in Scandinavian countries, who investigates citizens' complaints against the government or its functionaries.
Origin of ombudsmanSwedish, from Old Norse umbodhsmadhr, deputy, plenipotentiary : umbodh, commission (um, about, around, all over; see ambhi in Indo-European roots + bodh, command; see bheudh- in Indo-European roots) + madhr, man; see man-1 in Indo-European roots.
- An appointed official whose duty is to investigate complaints, generally on behalf of individuals such as consumers or taxpayers, against institutions such as companies and government departments.
- A designated internal mediator in an organization whose duty is to assist members with conflict resolution and other problems and to serve as independent consultant to recommend changes to policies or procedures to improve organization effectiveness, efficiency, and humaneness.
- This term is derived from Swedish, in which language the suffix -man is not gender-specific, thus, it can be used in reference to a woman or to a man.
From Swedish ombudsman, from Old Norse umboÃ°smaÃ°r.