- of or suitable to letters or letter writing
- contained in or conducted by letters
- written in the form of a series of letters exchanged by the characters, as certain novels of the 18th cent.
Origin of epistolaryFrench épistolaire ; from Classical Latin epistolaris ; from epistola, epistle
- Of or associated with letters or the writing of letters.
- Being in the form of a letter: epistolary exchanges.
- Carried on by or composed of letters: an epistolary friendship.
Origin of epistolaryFrom Latin epistol&amacron;ris, from epistola, epistle; see epistle.
(comparative more epistolary, superlative most epistolary)